Kirst, I just got your letter, beautiful pictures! Your travels look amazing! It's so cool that you now work with 7th graders - that's what I've been doing for the past five years and I love it(despite the hormonal roller coasters). Kurt and I are well, we just moved into our new house in December, it was so exciting getting ready for Christmas in our new and very own home. Barrie is like a winter wonderland! We have had 8 snow days this school year, all since we moved into our new house. The very same weekend we moved in there was a huge storm and we had two days off of school because there was so much snow. Just the other day we have another huge storm and the snow went above Kurt's knees (in one night!)It means lots of shovelling for Kurt and lots of baking and cuddling under the blankets for me!We also ushered in the new year by hosting a party, complete with a table hockey tournament (very canadian I know!)It is so wonderful to finally have a place where people can visit (hint hint).
We long to live out of town and in the countryside, but just one street over is the edge of town and we go walking through the farmers fields, pretending that we live there. I am learning to be content with enticing the wildlife to enter my yard and am eager to begin gardening in the spring.
It's been almost a year since our trip to Kenya, a heart-breaking memory now that there is so much unrest there. The orphanage we visited is safe, but our organization is paying for security there and half the children are Kikuyu (the tribe that is mostly being killed). I miss them so much, some of their faces still pierce me - I wanted to take them all home with me! I really bonded with the older girls, beautiful souls that loved God so much it made me want to cry.
Christmas was a whirlwind of travelling between Barrie and Kingston to see all of our extended family. I love that I now have family here in Barrie (my inlaws) they are so fantastic.
My job is still great but my closest teacher friend (we have team taught almost every year that I have been there) left to teach at the Christian high school and things are sooo different now. Our principal retiered and we are just getting used to our new one. I am so resistant to change!
Our church life is really going well. Our church is pretty old-fashioned, but also a wonderful supportive community. Kurt and I are leading the college and careers group and Kurt is considering becoming an elder. There is a large group of people our age (our friends) who are all getting really invovled. I feel like something really big is about to happen there. Many churches in our denomination are losing their members that are our age but we have a dedicated group that want to have our church get better instead of griping and leaving. So it's all very exciting!
It was so good to hear from you but I would love to see you! Hope to hear from you again soon.
2 comments:
Beautiful pix!
Kirst, I just got your letter, beautiful pictures! Your travels look amazing! It's so cool that you now work with 7th graders - that's what I've been doing for the past five years and I love it(despite the hormonal roller coasters). Kurt and I are well, we just moved into our new house in December, it was so exciting getting ready for Christmas in our new and very own home. Barrie is like a winter wonderland! We have had 8 snow days this school year, all since we moved into our new house. The very same weekend we moved in there was a huge storm and we had two days off of school because there was so much snow. Just the other day we have another huge storm and the snow went above Kurt's knees (in one night!)It means lots of shovelling for Kurt and lots of baking and cuddling under the blankets for me!We also ushered in the new year by hosting a party, complete with a table hockey tournament (very canadian I know!)It is so wonderful to finally have a place where people can visit (hint hint).
We long to live out of town and in the countryside, but just one street over is the edge of town and we go walking through the farmers fields, pretending that we live there. I am learning to be content with enticing the wildlife to enter my yard and am eager to begin gardening in the spring.
It's been almost a year since our trip to Kenya, a heart-breaking memory now that there is so much unrest there. The orphanage we visited is safe, but our organization is paying for security there and half the children are Kikuyu (the tribe that is mostly being killed). I miss them so much, some of their faces still pierce me - I wanted to take them all home with me! I really bonded with the older girls, beautiful souls that loved God so much it made me want to cry.
Christmas was a whirlwind of travelling between Barrie and Kingston to see all of our extended family. I love that I now have family here in Barrie (my inlaws) they are so fantastic.
My job is still great but my closest teacher friend (we have team taught almost every year that I have been there) left to teach at the Christian high school and things are sooo different now. Our principal retiered and we are just getting used to our new one. I am so resistant to change!
Our church life is really going well. Our church is pretty old-fashioned, but also a wonderful supportive community. Kurt and I are leading the college and careers group and Kurt is considering becoming an elder. There is a large group of people our age (our friends) who are all getting really invovled. I feel like something really big is about to happen there. Many churches in our denomination are losing their members that are our age but we have a dedicated group that want to have our church get better instead of griping and leaving. So it's all very exciting!
It was so good to hear from you but I would love to see you! Hope to hear from you again soon.
Luv Nicole
Post a Comment